Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The things you can do with a little elbow grease

I'm no designer..but

I have lived in the same house for 4 years now and it was not my choice so I am constantly trying to make it comfortable for me. I feel like your surroundings reflect how you see yourself and it also has an influence on your attitude. 

I'm going to share a list of things I have done to my house just to give you an idea of how far I will go to feel at ease in my own home. Now all of this has been at my own hand (with help from the hubby when needed)

1. Knocked out 2 full walls in my entryway. In order to make a more open concept.


2. We tore up marble tile that was put on top of wood floors! What a crime. It was horrible. The hubby was a trooper for that one. Then they needed sanded and refinished.


3. I have painted every inch of my house...some rooms more than once. I feel like paint is an easy pick me up. It really can change the way you feel when you are in that room.

4. I wanted an open concept kitchen/dining room so I put a hole in the wall. I couldn't take it completely out because of wiring and structure but I have an opening with a ledge on it. I LOVE it. It is my favorite thing I have done.


5. Put in a back-splash in the kitchen. What a mess! I will never tile again. 


6. We added a little deck on the front of the house and lots of plants for curb appeal.  Oh and painted the entire outside. My big thought with front outside projects are for resale value.


7. Tore out an old, nasty drop ceiling in the basement and painted the beams black instead of putting another one up. It is now my gym area so I didn't think it needed a finished look. I might change my mind if it effects selling it.

8. My kitchen cupboards were just the plain, standard ones you find a lot. I took shelf liner and put it on the front and painted over it. It is a unique look that I hope doesn't have someone thinking I'm crazy.

9. We added a few ceiling fans since my house doesn't really get a good breeze with the windows open. We started scrapping the popcorn off the ceilings,but man that is a chore.

10. Last but not least would be all the furniture arranging and picture hanging. That can mean all the difference. If you have a cluttered room you can feel distracted and antsy, but if you have a room that is clean and clear you feel light and cheerful.

Well that's my home improvement history in my current house. I would love to move and hopefully in a few years we can. Then it will I'm sure start all over because I love a good remodel! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fell free to leave me a comment. I'd love to hear feedback.