Thursday, February 18, 2016

Do you or Don't you...Microwave?

Alright, I just had to write this post. I was looking up recipes and found this one from Made by Margie where she uses a microwave to make some bread. 
Now this isn't the first time I have noticed in the comments how many people talk about how they would never use a microwave! like it's a horrible thing. Got me wanting to know what it is that makes a microwave such a bad thing.

 I first learned that a microwave oven uses a microwave of 12 centimeters in length to force the water and fat in the food to rotate, this rotation causes heat in turn it cooks the food. Thanks, Mission Science for that little tid bit.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has regulated the manufacture of microwave ovens since 1971. On the basis of current knowledge about microwave radiation, the Agency believes that ovens that meet the FDA standard and are used according to the manufacturer's instructions are safe for use.

So if the FDA stands behind the use of microwave ovens, then what is the big deal, I ask? The FDA also says that you lose no nutritional value when using a microwave oven instead of a conventional oven. 

I understand how people can have a negative reaction to the word radiation but maybe they should take the time to do a search like I did on how little radiation really comes from a microwave oven.

Doing a search though the internet brought up lots of info and I wanted real people's thoughts, not just the sciencey (I know it's not a word) stuff. 

Global Healing Center and Keeper of the Home talk about not using a microwave oven and touch on how they feel about it. They also give other options instead of a microwave oven. Then I found Marks Daily Apple and he said a lot of things that I was thinking and made me feel better about it.








*disclaimer: I am by no means a scientist and do not claim to be. I support everyone using whatever kitchen cooking appliance they want to. I just wanted to learn something I didn't know and figured I would share it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fell free to leave me a comment. I'd love to hear feedback.