Monday, April 25, 2016

I guarantee that you will find Blog Inc.useful

I kept seeing posts about blogging books that you should read and since I have kind of felt like I was in a rut I figured what could it hurt really. It never hurts to find out what others think. Why recreate the wheel per-say.



Ch.1 Introduction
Joy Cho, the author, talks about why you should blog and she gives 5 reasons.
*Passion
*Community
*Marketing
*Sharing talents
*Income
Usually your reason will fall into one of these categories. The she goes on to list the types of blogs there are, again she gives 5 examples.
*Personal
*Topical
*Talent
*Behind the scenes news
*Community/Collaboration
She points out, and I agree, you don't always fit into one of these categories. Most blogs and bloggers evolve over time.

Ch.2 Finding your niche
In this chapter she asks some questions that can help you figure out what you want your niche to be. Now I started my blog for one reason that I since don't have anymore, but I decided to keep blogging. So I am still without a niche.
Joy gives ideas on how to come up with a name. That was hard for me and sometimes I think that my name is to long.
Writing style and finding your voice is covered in this chapter. I like to think I'm witty but I don't want to sound fake so I am careful of how I use my voice.
She talks about content and this is one area I struggle with and it runs hand in hand with the knowing your niche. Some times I'm not sure of what content I want to share and then when I do come up with an idea, it has been done almost a dozen times already.
There are some suggestions that Joy shares on how to come up with content.
*using images
*sharing your life
*recurring topics
*creating your own layouts

Ch.3 Powering your blog
Joy talks about platforms, names and design in this chapter. What to post about and the importance of pictures. I agree wholeheartedly with the emphasis on pictures, being an Instagram addict myself. A great picture can draw in a reader. She also recommends creating a space for you to feel inspired.

Ch.4 Blogging etiquette 
In this chapter she talks about how you can create a community if you reach out to other bloggers and how it is important to be supportive of others. I am a very shy person so I do a horrible job at this. I try to make sure to interact a few times a week with other bloggers but I could do more.
Social media is another thing that she says to take advantage of. You should try to get your content out there in whatever way you feel works best for you. RESPOND TO COMMENTS!

Ch.5 Making it a business
Joy talks about some key essentials in this chapter. I am not planning on using this as a business so I skimmed this chapter but you should read it if you are. There are some useful tips.

Ch.6 Monetizing
Again this is not something that I plan on doing. I started my blog as a hobby and plan to keep it that way, but I skimmed this chapter also and there are very good tips that would be helpful to those that have no idea how to go about doing this.

Ch.7 The next stage
This chapter goes over some possibilities that your blog could face in the future. Ideas of updates that you may want to make. I love that she touches on bloggers block. It IS a thing and it sucks, but she gives you some ideass on how to get creative again.
*Change your environment
*Take a class
*Move around
*Interact with others
*Cut back
*Take a break


In this book Joy interviews 18 other bloggers. It is nice to be able to see the thought process of other people and what other niches go through that yours may not.
I highly recommend reading this book. It is great for those thinking about starting a blog or for those that are 6 months in and still feeling lost.
*If you have a book that you recommend for getting ideas, please share.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fell free to leave me a comment. I'd love to hear feedback.